Delivering accurate, impartial and fair information to the people of Myanmar

Delivering accurate, impartial and fair information to the people of Myanmar

# Public Sector # ICT # Overseas # Telecommunication # Asia # South East Asia # Broadcasting

Promoting democracy in Myanmar

Myanmar is located at the western end of Southeast Asia. Burmese make up about 70% of the population of about 50 million people, and the remaining about 30% is made up of minorities. More than 130 ethnic groups co-exist in Myanmar. In 2011, the transition from the military government which lasted for many years to a civil government was accomplished. Myanmar is called as the “last frontier in Asia”, and very attractive for investors. The movement for democratization is gradually expanding not only to politics, but also to media. Supported by this project, Myanma Radio Television (MRTV) also aims for transiting from national broadcasting to public broadcasting.

  • MRTV Headquarters

  • Instruction on program recording

Reforming Myanmar's broadcasting system and capacity development of MRTV

This project, which was implemented as a technical cooperation by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), has carried out various technical cooperation programs from May 2016 to August 2020 with the aim of improving the capacity of MRTV and promoting the transition to public broadcasting. It has been conducted based on four pillars: (1) improving the ability to report "correct and fair" information, (2) improving the ability to produce programs that people can enjoy and provide useful information, (3) improving the ability of equipment maintenance and management for stable broadcasting, and (4) supporting the development of roadmaps and system for a smooth transition to public broadcasting.

Under the support of a major Japanese TV station, news specialists participated in as a member to transfer practical news technology. At the beginning of the project, MRTV staff members were not able to judge the value of news nor the order of the news, and not concerned about the balance between video and audio. However, their production ability has been enhanced and it enabled them to broadcast live weather forecast and market prices such as of vegetables by using smartphones in the second project year. Almost all programs have been recorded because the confirmation of the contents has to be done before broadcasting.

Introducing live broadcasting to MRTV is a great progress and outcome of training. Besides, a series of educational and agricultural programs have been launched and broadcasted through the project, which have been favorably accepted by viewers. We have prepared manuals for the maintenance and management of the equipment required for stable operation by MRTV. Furthermore, the roadmap for public broadcasting was developed and an operational plan for the next 10 years was proposed through this project for the Myanmar government. It is expected to reflect the results of the training conducted in news and production into the organization of MRTV. The democratization of broadcasting stations would lead to a brighter future for Myanmar. We will continue to support the democratization of Myanmar from the aspect of media.

  • Getting news footage at a market in Yangon

  • Interview for news program regarding child labor

Project Details

    Project: Project for Capacity Development of Myanmar Radio and Television in the Republic of the Union of Myanmar
    Client: Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)